We’re hiring! Join the team behind the mi.mu gloves
Business Development Manager
- 3 days per week (initially)
- £45k pro-rata
- available to start immediately
We are seeking an experienced and passionate head of Business Development to oversee the commercial development of a cutting edge music technology company. Our team of experts in hardware, software and music have developed a range of futuristic music technology products. Each of them is in the late stages of development and we want to find the right person to build the commercial infrastructure to make them a success. We are witnessing the rise of gestural technology, and mi.mu is uniquely positioned to use our expertise in music and gesture to help shape the future of music making.
Mi.mu is recognised as a leading organisation in the development of wearable gestural music controllers. Our widely celebrated system, the mi.mu gloves, was initially developed by, with and for musician Imogen Heap but have since been released to a growing community of early adopters (“glovers”), with much public anticipation for a wider release.
The Business Development Manager will work closely with the mi.mu team – a diverse collective of expert musicians, academics, technologists and designers, determined to unleash new possibilities in the creation and performance of music and beyond. Our users are already engaging in the cross-section of communicative and immersive art forms. Our early adopters include music and disability charity Drake Music and pop star Ariana Grande, as well as film composers, physical theatre practitioners, robotics engineers and visual artists.
We have been widely covered in the media by New Scientist, The Guardian, Independent, BBC and Dezeen and at events such as TED, Wired, Sonar and SXSW. We are now ready to focus and build on this success. We need a business expert to head up our release efforts, to get the best out of the team and to help us take these next steps into the commercial world.
As a key part of our small team you’ll have the chance to take full ownership of our commercial and sales strategy, with responsibility for:
- Leading the commercial release of new hardware and software products in 2018
- Overseeing all business activities and ensuring they are productive and aligned with our strategy and mission
- Identifying people and tools to help scale the business and build partnerships with key third party organisations
- Raising funding to support the organisation, through investment, grants, events or other means
- Supervising marketing strategy and implementation
- Experience in a commercial role in music tech or related fields
- Motivation and initiative to work independently
- A passion for music technology
- An understanding of the processes involved in creating new technology and taking a new product from development to release
- Excellent communication and networking skills with experience of public speaking
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Familiarity with key business functions, including intellectual property, marketing, sales and PR
- An entrepreneurial, confident mindset with the ability to strike a deal
- Opportunity to grow a visible and exciting startup and make a change in the world of music tech
- Challenging position with lots of independence and room for creativity
- Office located in a vibrant South London creative hub full of other artistic and inspiring startups
- Competitive salary with space to grow and take on more responsibilities
Please send your CV and covering letter to the email address below by Monday 4th December 2017. Interviews will be held early December in London.